The International Code of Ethics for Professional Accountants (including International Independence Standards) is effective as of June 15, 2019. In addition to extensive restructuring changes, the Code includes substantive revisions, including to the conceptual framework. The conceptual framework explains how all professional accountants are required to apply the Code in order to comply with the fundamental principles of ethics, and where applicable, be independent.
The IESBA eCode is a web-based tool that delivers the Code in a digital platform. The eCode includes “app-like” features and functionalities, which better demonstrates the Code’s “building blocks” architecture and scalability.
IESBA Chairman Dr. Stavros Thomadakis explains the practical significance of the revised and restructured Code, an enhanced platform for developing relevant ethics and independence standards that are globally operable in a world of changing technologies, business methods and public expectations.
Resources & Tools
Bases for Conclusions
In the News
- National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD), Directorship Magazine, Multinationals Are Facing Tougher Rules on Auditor Independence, and a June 15 Deadline (March / April 2019)
- Strategic Finance Magazine, When Best Intentions Aren’t Enough (April 2019)
- AICPA Journal of Accountancy, A New Take on Ethics and Independence (December 2018)
- Accounting Today, Applying the new International Code of Ethics (October 2018)
- Bloomberg, International Ethics & Independence Body Revises Standards for Inducements (August 2018)
- Audit Conduct: Comparing International Independence Standards for Nonaudit Services to the SEC and PCAOB Independence Rules (August, 2018)
- Accounting Web: 5 Key Takeaways from the New International Ethics (May 10, 2018)
- Journal of Accountancy: 5 things you need to know about the new international ethics code (May 8, 2018)
- Compliance Week: Global body reboots ethics rules for accountants (April 25, 2018)
- Accounting Web: International Ethics Standards Board Revamps Standards (April 24, 2018)
- CFO Innovation: Revamped Code of Ethics Released for Professional Accountants (April 16, 2018)
- Accounting Today: IESBA rewrites code of ethics for accountants (April 10, 2018)