The Ukraine Conflict: Key Ethics and Independence Considerations
Oct 03, 2022 | Guidance & Support Tools
This Staff Alert highlights the ethical implications arising from the wide-ranging economic sanctions many jurisdictions have imposed on Russia and certain Russian entities and individuals as well as Belarus, and the related ethical responsibilities of PAIBs and PAPPs under the Code. It also highlights:
- Key ethics considerations for PAIBs in relation to the preparation and presentation of information, especially as regards accounting for and disclosing the impact of the Ukraine conflict on their employing organizations’ business; and
- Key ethics considerations for PAPPs in relation to client and engagement acceptance, and in the context of audits of financial statements, key independence considerations relating to overdue fees and the Code’s prohibition against assuming management responsibility.
Regardless of the environment in which professional accountants operate, the provisions of the Code serve to enhance the quality and consistency of services accountants provide, thus contributing to public trust and confidence in their work.
This publication may also be of interest to national standard setters, the investor and corporate governance communities, regulators and audit oversight bodies, preparers other than PAIBs, professional accountancy organizations, and others with an interest or role in the work of PAIBs and auditors and other PAPPs.
Copyright © 2023 The International Federation of Accountants (IFAC). All rights reserved.
- 2022 Handbook of the International Code of Ethics for Professional Accountants
- Briefing Note for Global Sustainability Roundtables
- Ethics Considerations in Sustainability Reporting
- Final Pronouncement: Revisions to the Code Relating to the Definition of Engagement Team and Group Audits
- Proposed Revisions to the Code Addressing Tax Planning and Related Services
You must be signed in to the IFAC website in order to submit a comment. If you do not have an account, please register below. IFAC respects your privacy and will not send you unsolicited email or spam. You can subscribe to IFAC publications, change your subscription preferences, or manage your user profile at any time.
Get the latest updates delivered to your inbox
Translations & Permissions
Looking to reproduce the standards for your members? Want to include IFAC's publications in your training materials or university course? Learn how we can help.